Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Interpretation of Dylan at the Gym

So I was at the YMCA working out (been goin' here since the beginning of the year) and my new thing is using an actual POD to listen to music. I tried EARBUDS, but they freaked me out, so I switched to cheap headphones, which is great. I'm pretty much restricted to the Life Fitness Elliptical Trainer because of my arthritic knees, but that is great. In a half hour you get a good workout and sweat a lot.

Anyway, today I was on the machine, following my progress using a graphic of a little mountain which I was making my way up and across (you have the choice between a running track, a mountain, and some kind of landscape that looks like desert island-- this is on a screen in front of you that tells our heart rate and how many calories you've burned, etc.) In my weakass state, I can only climb the mountain like two and a half times in a half hour. So anyway, I'm going along while listening to Bob Dylan's "Idiot Wind," and it got to the part that says, "You'll find out when you reach the top, you're on the bottom." I always wondered what that meant, and TODAY, just as he said that line, my little graphic reached the top of the mountain and then started again at the bottom!

All these years, I've loved that song but wondered what it was about. Now I know it's referring to the Life Fitness Elliptical Trainer! Bob probably wrote the song while working out on one of these things! I may contact the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame about this. Very exciting!

No comments: